Sadness, fear, worry, or other emotions can affect us during or after tough situations. Feeling strong emotions or being stressed can cause the following:
- Changes in appetite, energy, desires, or interests.
- Problems concentrating or making decisions.
- Headaches, body pains, stomach problems, skin rashes, or other bodily pains.
- Worsening of chronic diseases and mental health conditions.
- Overeating or not eating enough.
- Increased use of alcohol, illegal drugs, and misuse of prescription drugs.
Learning to cope with stress in a healthy way will help you, the people you care about, and those around you become more resilient. You can help yourself, others, and your community manage stress.